Hormone-balancing yoga – Yoga for woman
What is hormone-balancing yoga?
Hormone-balancing yoga works as a holistic therapy method where we work physically and mentally with the body. Here, the yoga positions are designed to balance the endocrine system, especially the ovaries, adrenal glands, thyroid, and liver. We enhance the effect with the help of our breath, which provides an internal massage. We focus through visualization, mantra and breath and direct our energy to a specific gland or body part. We work from a holistic point of view with body, mind, and spirit. One major cause of hormonal imbalance is stress and therefore the yoga session is very calming and stress-reducing. I learned hormone-balancing yoga at MediYoga Institute in Sweden.
What are the benefits of hormone-balancing yoga?
• Increases sense of femininity
• Strengthen bones and muscles
• Slows down osteoporosis
• Decreases hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings
• Decreases symptoms of depression or fatigue
• Harmonizes and balance the parasympathetic nervous system (PMS)
• Increases elasticity and stability of the pelvic floor
• Reduces urinary leakage and urinary infections
• Stress-reducing and relaxing
Who can do hormone-balancing yoga?
Hormone levels normally start to fall after the age of 35. Medical yoga for hormonal balance can help with the following conditions:
- Complications with PMS, PMDS, painful, irregular or absent menstruation and PCOS
- Difficulties getting pregnant, infertility
- Various menopausal symptoms
- Thyroid disorders
If you need to reduce stress instead of balancing your hormones, you should have a look into medical yoga. In medical yoga you learn simple techniques, postures, and meditations for reducing stress.
What are the contraindications?
There are no contraindications doing hormone-balancing yoga. It is a soft and gentle for of yoga. Always listen to your body and rest whenever you need to. There are no real contraindications, but if you have had hormone sensitive cancer like breast or uterine cancer within the last 5 years you should always consult your doctor before practicing yoga for hormonal balance. If you are menstruating, pregnant or if you have any other medical condition like endometriosis or hypothyroid the yoga positions and breathing techniques must be modified. Please inform me before the class.